Saturday, September 01, 2012

Shrimp N Grits

A lot has happened in life since I last blogged - I'm still trying to come to terms with some things that have happened..  I think I'm finally ready to write about it - and also have this as a place for my memories - especially of my dear Mom in law that passed away in May.

We returned a few weeks ago from a family vacation in Key West, FL.  One BIL has a vacation house there, and has been wanting the whole family to get together.  Unfortunately, Mom and Dad (in-laws) never made it there before she passed away.  Dad went down for a week in June, and then when we went down in August, he returned for another week! We had a great time, and it's definitely on our list of places to visit again!

BIL took us to some amazing restaurants and places while in Key West.  Once such place was call Louie's Backyard.  I have never been one for grits, and I can eat shrimp on occasion.  Since I've been trying to eat healthier lately, seafood has become one of my go to meals, especially shrimp.  So, on this night, I chose the Shrimp and Grits (I figured I would try the grits, leave them, and eat the shrimp).

This is what showed up on the table:





Do you HEAR the angels singing?  Oh My Word!  Shrimp, with mushrooms and bacon, over grits with white cheddar cheese! Yeah, THAT'S healthy all right!!!  It was SO SO SO good! I shared with those at the table, ate what I wanted, and still had shrimp and grits left over....and oh yes, the grits?  NOT gritty at all - cooked wonderfully (I'm sure the white cheddar cheese helped) :)

I've been wondering about trying to replicate the dish.  Did a Google search and found the recipe.  This is from The Flavors of the Florida Keys Cookbook, by Linda Gassenheimer.  Louie's Backyard also has a cookbook out and I believe the recipe is included in it as well.

I have not made these - as yet.  They are on my to try list - and of course make the recipe my own, by changing a few things.  I probably won't use all the butter (Pam may have to do) and I think a pepper jack cheese would be yummy.

Louie's Backyard Shrimp and Grits Recipe - serves 4

2 1/2 cups milk
2 1/2 cups water
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup stone-ground grits
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 cup diced cooked bacon
6 tablespoons butter, divided
36 shrimp, peeled anddeveined
3 cups quartered button mushrooms
juice from 2 lemons (about 4 tablespoons)
4 tablespoons chopped parsley

Bring milk and water to a boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan over high heat.  Add a little salt and pepper to taste.  Add grits and cook over a low flame for about 1 hour stirring often.  Add more warm water if the pan becomes too dry.  Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, cheese and cayenne pepper.  Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Cook bacon in a large skilled over medium-high heat until brown.  Remove, drain on a paper towel, and dice.  Pour the grease out of the skillet and add 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat.  When the butter sizzles, add the bacon, shrimp and mushrooms.  Cook until the shrimp color, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Sprinkle the lemon juice into the skillet and add the remaining 4 tablespoons butter and shipped parsley.  Shake the pan until the butter incorporates with the lemon juice.

Spoon the grits onto 4 plates and place the shrimp on top of grits.

NOTE:  you can u se mild olive oil and butter instead of all butter.  The shrimp takes only minutes to make and should be made last minute.  The grits can be made a few hours ahead and gently heated by adding a little warm water and stirring constantly.

1 comments:

Bee Jay said...

So sorry to hear about your loss Suzanne. Loved the shrimp meal pic but wouldn't be too sure about 'grits'?? is that like porridge? tehehe! Blessings!