Wednesday, September 05, 2007

One of my docs passed away Saturday. Dr. Z was such a sweetheart. All of his patients, and all of the staff just LOVED him. He was so easy to work with, and as a patient, you knew he actually cared. He was an OB/GYN. Dr. Z and his partner Dr H worked with DH and I when we were going thru infertility. We FINALLY had our gift from God on the way, and Dr Z just patted my hand and said "see, I told you it would happen". He happened to be the one out of the four on-call the night I went into labor. Since I worked at the hospital, everyone knew me. My labor went really quick - arrived right after 10 pm and at 2:19, DS was born. DH and I were the only ones there - we had called his parents before leaving the house, but since it was the middle of the night, it was just us. Once DS was born, Dr. Z was like, "OK, call the grandparents, where's the phone"..... Sadly, he retired a few years ago and the practice has just never been the same.

I was able to keep in touch with him over the past few years, since he still attended the CME meetings, and also the Medical Society meetings, of which I'm secretary. If he was in the hospital, he would always stop by just to chat, or call on the phone for a phone # or a contact name. He and his wife were able to enjoy these past few years of retirement - traveling and spending time with their family all over the country. Dr. Z had a Harley bike and I couldn't believe the time he stopped by with a full beard and a leather jacket on. That look didn't last long, I'm sure to the delight (and probably the help of) his wife. LOL

Last Thursday, Dr Z had a massive stroke. Friday, his family made the decision to turn off the respirator that was keeping him going. Dr. Z passed away sometime on Saturday. To say he will be missed is an understatement. Reading the guest book of his obituary, all of the patients say how loving and tender he was, how wonderful of a doc, how kind, the way he handled difficult deliveries as if they were easy. They don't bring them out of medical school like that anymore.

I hope there's a Harley bike waiting for you in heaven Dr. Z. I hope there's a street lined with gold waiting for you to ride on!

0 comments: