Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Your Husband Has Colon Cancer

When Dr. C. called me and said "your husband has colon cancer" - well my world just fell out from underneath me.


Hubs - like a lot of men, waited until age 51 (almost 52) to get his "first ever" colonoscopy.  It had been scheduled prior, but work got in the way - and life, so we finally got the appointment rescheduled.   I had mine previously, and honestly - the prep is the worst part. There are a few different prep kits they can give you, but mix it up - get it cold - drink and then grab your I-pad and stay in, or a few steps from, the bathroom.


During the colonoscopy, Dr. C removed 12 polyps.  Eleven came back ok, but one popped positive for cancer.  Hubs was traveling (again), when Dr. C called me.  We knew each other from my previous hospital - and yes, he had signed off on her giving me information.  So, I had the news - do I tell him over the phone or do I wait until he comes home 3 days later?  He face-timed me that night, took one look at me and said "why have you been crying"?  Well, that was it. We never keep secrets from each other anyway, why start now?


A referral to a colon-rectal surgeon came next.  We lucked out - the BEST EVER Colon Rectal Surgeon is here in Tidewater, VA!   We went for the first visit, and Dr. F -  his name badge - has a poop emoji over his picture.  He's wearing a button that reads - "Keep Calm and Poop".  Hubs felt RIGHT at home!


Surgery was scheduled for two weeks later.  They removed a section of his sigmoid colon - using laparoscopy and robotics. A 3 day hospital stay and hubs was discharged home.  The section was tested for cancer, and wouldn't you know it, 3 lymph nodes popped positive.  At that point - the protocol starts for chemotherapy.  Which is a whole 'nother blog post........











0 comments: